Choosing Your Route:
The best route to your destination is not necessarily the route you would typically take by car. The City of Austin produces a valuable bicycle map that focuses on the needs of bicycle traffic. You can buy a printed copy at local stores.
- Google Maps has built-in functionality to provide you with custom directions by bicycle.
- Ride The City also provides custom directions by bicycle, but with the flexibility to specify route comfort.
- Commute Solutions has several links to other Austin-area bicycle maps.
Combining Bicycling with Transit:
A great way to travel even further with a bike is to bring it onto a bus or train. All Cap Metro buses and trains are equipped for carrying bikes, and combining options are easy. Learn how it works on CapMetro’s website.
Choosing A Bicycle:
- You can get familiar with most of the basic bicycle types here and here.
- Your nearby bike shop can also help you choose the bicycle(s) that is right for you. Go prepared with a budget range and an idea of what you’ll be using your new bike for.
Finding Ride Partners and Group Rides:
- Bike Buddy (launched in May 2013) matches people who want to try bicycle commuting with experienced bicycle commuters who want to help.
Bicycle Maintenance and Repairs:
- Bike Maintenance Tips from the League of American Bicyclists.
- Your nearby bike shop offers bicycle maintenance and repairs. Consider patronizing one of our sponsors.
- Austin’s Yellow Bike Project provides a free community bike shop where volunteers assist you with bicycle maintenance and repairs during their “Open Shops”.
- UT Austin’s Orange Bike Project also provides a community bike shop, but is targeted toward the University of Texas at Austin community.
- Bicycle Sport Shop offers free bicycle maintenance classes.
Knowing the Laws:
- A person operating a bicycle has generally the same rights and responsibilities as when he/she operates a motor vehicle. More information is available via the City of Austin, which has compiled several links to Austin ordinances and Texas statutes.
- General Smart Cycling Tips from the League of American Bicyclists.
- In the unfortunate incident that you are involved in a crash, have this crash card on hand to collect the appropriate information.
- The Center for Cycling Education Ticket Dismissal online traffic skills course.
Bicycle Master Plan
- Austin’s ambitious Bicycle Master Plan calls for an interconnected network of protected bike lanes and urban trails throughout Austin.