Choosing A Bicycle
- You can get familiar with most of the basic bicycle types here and here.
- Your nearby bike shop can also help you choose the bicycle(s) that is right for you. Go prepared with a budget range and an idea of what you’ll be using your new bike for.
Choosing Your Route
The best route to your destination is not necessarily the route you would typically take by car. The City of Austin produces a valuable bicycle map that focuses on the needs of bicycle traffic. You can buy a printed copy at local stores.
- Google Maps has built-in functionality to provide you with custom directions by bicycle.
- Ride The City also provides custom directions by bicycle, but with the flexibility to specify route comfort.
- Commute Solutions has several links to other Austin-area bicycle maps.
Combining Bicycling with Transit
A great way to travel even further with a bike is to bring it onto a bus or train. All Cap Metro buses and trains are equipped for carrying bikes, and combining options are easy. Learn how it works on CapMetro’s website.
Finding Ride Partners and Group Rides
- Bike Buddy (launched in May 2013) matches people who want to try bicycle commuting with experienced bicycle commuters who want to help.
Bicycle Maintenance and Repairs
- Bike Maintenance Tips from the League of American Bicyclists.
- Your nearby bike shop offers bicycle maintenance and repairs. Consider patronizing one of our sponsors.
- Austin’s Yellow Bike Project provides a free community bike shop where volunteers assist you with bicycle maintenance and repairs during their “Open Shops”.
- UT Austin’s Orange Bike Project also provides a community bike
shop,but is targeted toward the University of Texas at Austin community.
SportShop offers free bicycle maintenance classes.
Knowing the Laws
- A person operating a bicycle has generally the same rights and responsibilities as when he/she operates a motor vehicle. More information is available via the City of Austin, which has compiled several links to Austin ordinances and Texas statutes.
- General Smart Cycling Tips from the League of American Bicyclists.
- In the unfortunate incident that you are involved in a crash, have this crash card on hand to collect the appropriate information.
- The Center for Cycling Education Ticket Dismissal online traffic skills course.
Bicycle Master Plan
- Austin’s ambitious Bicycle Master Plan calls for an interconnected network of protected bike lanes and urban trails throughout Austin.