We envision Central Texas as a place where everyone recognizes and embraces the benefits of cycling, whether they ride or not, and where cycling is a common aspect of daily life for everyone. Central Texas has a comprehensive bicycle network enabling people in the region to comfortably, safely and efficiently use a bike for transportation and recreation. Bicycling supports the community as a whole by: increasing roadway capacity and user mobility; strengthening the economy and household affordability; improving the environment; and promoting an active, healthy lifestyle.
Bike Austin improves quality of life for all of Austin and Central Texas by growing bicycling as a form of transportation, exercise, and recreation.
We believe that…
- Bicycling should be safe and accessible.
- Bicycling positively transforms our community.
- Bicycling benefits all people, whether they bicycle or not.
- Bicycling is an integral part of a multi-modal transportation system.
Through our work, we pledge to…
- Respect each other and enjoy the activities we do together.
- Partner and collaborate with public servants, government agencies, and members to accomplish our shared goals.
- Strive to engage diverse populations, particularly across lines of gender, age, income, race, ethnicity, and capability.
- Be conscious of social equity issues in transportation
- Support all people who bicycle, whether new to bicycling or experienced.
- Ensure tangible and measurable progress.
- Be strategic with our political capital and challenge the status quo.