We did it!
After several years of hard work and persistent advocacy, Bike Austin and Walk Austin are thrilled to announce that our grassroots campaign for better walking and bicycling on Shoal Creek Boulevard has succeeded!
The City of Austin has announced the final designs for Shoal Creek Boulevard between 38th Street and Hwy 183 and improvements include:
- A two-way protected bicycle lane between 38th St and Foster Ln
- One-way protected bicycle lanes between Foster Ln and Hwy 183
- Numerous protected intersections
- 12 new pedestrian crossings
- Improvements to numerous existing crossings, including slip lane closures
- Several stretches of sidewalk improvements
Find out more about the full list of improvements here.
For a list of project updates, including implementation, see here.
More than 3,000 residents and 130 local businesses and community organizations signed on to support this vital campaign. Bike Austin, Walk Austin, and our thousands of supporters thank the City of Austin for making the right decision on this critical transportation corridor. We look forward to seeing these plans implemented in the near future and most importantly to seeing more people, especially vulnerable road users, walk and bike along Shoal Creek and across Austin.
And, of course, a huge thank you to our many volunteers and supporters whose hard work helped make this victory happen. We truly appreciate all the help you gave. This success is yours…